Monday, January 9, 2012

On Morality - Part 3 - Charity And Immorality

The whole...concept of charity, of giving, receiving and the social aspects attached to it are quite fascinating to me. Giving our money to those less fortunate to us, sacrificing something of us to them, is considered to be a trait of the highest virtues. But there seems to be a process attached to the concept of giving which changes our perceptions of those that are charitable.

First off is the degree of sacrifice. When we consider someone doing something charitable, the most common concept that comes to mind is the giving of money. Attached to this is the amount of money that is given. If I was walking along the street and found a begger, a standard amount given would be as few dollars. Although this is not a real sacrifice to me, its considered to be a great gift to the beggar.

Second is the attitude of giving, and this ties in directly with the degree. If I gave the beggar mentioned above 5 cents, even though I had several dollars to spare, this is considered to be a horrific faux pas and an insult to the concept of being charitable. But lets assume for a minute that I am as poor as he is, if I give this same man 5 cents, I will be admired by my fellow man.

Lets look at the first scenario, I gave this man 5 cents, and I am considered horrible for not giving him more (because he needs more than a measly 5 cents). Lets also assume that 5 cents is all I could spare, that that is all I had on me that I could give out at the time. If that is truly all I could spare, for good reason, then my standing of immorality is reduced to a state of neutrality.

In the second scenario, where I am of equal monetary standard than the beggar, if I give him 5 cents, and say it is nothing to me, and I am around my friends (they know my position) my moral standing is considered completely neutral, all because I did not act as if my donation of 5 cents did not affect me, as if I didnt care. If I acted that if it was a great sacrifice, then I will be a pinnacle of good

Considering these 2 scenarios, it is obvious that our moral standing (in regards to charity) is directly tied into the degree of charity and the attitude of the one that is giving.

Now lets assume a third situation, where a man walks by, sees, and ignores the beggar, he pretends hes not even there. And it is obvious by his clothes that the man is rich. This man is now considered to be cold hearted and immoral for ignoring him.
Here is where perpetual immorality comes into fold, through charity. We KNOW there are millions of people around the world, suffering, dying, not being able to survive because of lack of money. We know this as a definite fact. But the vast, vast majority of us dont give money. Now WE are the men who are passing by the beggar. Therefore, we are perpetually immoral, for not giving our money, or being charitable around suffering which we KNOW is present.

Note: I am vastly aware that morality is completely tied into social views and this this is an extrapolation based on something which we encounter everyday. I have no idea how charitable you are. But what I do know is, if you THINK of these children, if you PUSHED the thought out of your mind. Then you have committed an immoral act, and for as long as you are pushing the thought out, you are immoral.

No comments:

Post a Comment